Once shift calendars and resources has been defined, it is time to create the master operations which are needed in order to create routes. An operation in the ROB-EX Scheduler term, describes a process to perform (i.e. cut, grind, etc.) and the list of resources capable of performing the operation.
- Open the “Edit operations” dialog by selecting “Edit->Operations” from the menu.
- Push the drop down button with the + sign near the top of the panel and select “New operation”
- Enter the name of the new operation and press OK to create it (e.g. “Sawing”). We recommend short operation names (eg. app. 10-15 characters) for best appearance in the Gantt chart and reports.
- The new operation is added in the choose list
- Assign the resources capable of performing the new operation by first selecting the resource in the left side “Resource list” and press the >> button. E.g. select the “Cutting” resource group as alternative for the “Sawing” operation – see below.
- Note that multiple resources may be selected by holding down the Ctrl key while selecting with the mouse.
- Also note that in case all members of a resource group are alternatives, then it is enough to add the resource group as an alternative – it is not necessary to add each member resource (Saw 1 and Saw 2).
- Create the remaining operations as necessary. For each configure resource alternatives.
- Additional resources can be added at this stage, by pressing the “Edit resource” button near the top.
- Operations can be renamed and deleted using the buttons “Rename” and “Delete”. Note that operations assigned to one ore more routes cannot be deleted.
Also refer to the chapter Edit template operations for a closer description of the edit operations dialog.